Monday, November 03, 2008

Baking with Mommy and Cate

On Sunday morning last week, Cate and I stayed home from church so as not to scare away any visitors with her cough and purple face. Well, I could have chosen any activity like going for a walk, reading books and the ever popular cleaning up the house, but I decided we would have our first baking experience as Mother and Daughter! This may not sound that exciting, but when you have baked banana bread with 3 boys "killing" the bananas and making sounds of anguish only boys can think up and having the ingredients beat eachother up in the stirring process, you would understand! Caitlyn took her job very seriusly! She wanted to add every ingredient and stir each time. I can tell, this is going to be lots of fun!
What does it feel like mom?
She had no problem adopting the rule of "every baker gets a taste". This is the boy's favorite part, and I think hers as well.
After a while she got a bit antsy, and just wanted to eat all the dough, so I decided to get a little crazy and give her the almost empty flour container and a measuring spoon. That kept her busy for a good half hour!
I was kinda proud of myself, can you see the mess? Inside I started to get anxious about all the mess she was making and I wanted to put an end to it immediately. I mean, when the boys come home and I am exhausted from the morning with just the girls, what will Steve think? Well, I held back those reservations and just let her go at it. She was so happy! Putting the flour in the container and taking it back out again, then smearing it all over the floor, repeat steps one and two 25 times.
The true test of a woman came when I told her it was time to clean up. I totally expected a meltdown only a 2yr old could give when in the middle of such fun. But to my delight, she said "OK" in her adorable little voice and promptly got the towel to clean it all up. I gave her the broom and she was content for another 15 minutes while I got everything cleaned up on the counters!
I am blessed by such experiences and can only imagine the fun she and I will have in times to come. Thank God for little girls! ;;)

2 comments:

carebear7951 said...

Love it Wend! So sweet! And in inspiration...I'm so bad about letting my kids take their time and do things like that-it seems I"m always in a hurry. Something I will surely regret. Thanks for the reminder!

Six Wilsons said...

Glad it inspired you! All too often I am putting othering things first and forgetting the joy of being a mom and watching my children in this way as they grow.
Life just needs to slow down, we need more Mary's and less Martha's, such a hard balance.
Anyway, glad you were blessed by it.